Sweet Potato Cheesecake
You are gonna hurt yourself with this dessert. It is derived from a favorite of southern style cooking, Sweet Potato Pie, only it’s a cheese cake. If you like both types of dessert then you will like this recipe. This cheese cake is better than the varieties of Cheesecake Factory™. That is how good it is. Please try it and tell us what you think on the blog.
- ¾ cups plain graham cracker crumbs
- ¾ cups cinnamon graham cracker crumbs
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 3 packages (8 oz cream cheese) room temperature
- 5 eggs room temperature, lightly beaten
- ½ tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups mashed cooked sweet potato
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the crust, combine the graham crackers, sugar, and melted butter until moistened.
- Pour into a 10 inch spring form pan.
- With the back of a measuring cup, press the crumbs into the bottom of the pan and about 1 ½ inch up the sides of the pan.
- Bake for 9 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Wrap the outside of the spring form pan with foil and place in a roasting pan.
- Bring a tea kettle of water to a boil.
- With a mixer beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the sugar; beat until light.
- Beat in the sour cream, then add the sweet potatoes, eggs, vanilla, salt, and spices until just combined.
- Stir in pecans and rum extract.
- Pour into the cooked crust.
Directions Part 2
- Gently place the roasting pan in the oven and pour the boiling water into the roasting pan until it comes about halfway up the side of the spring form pan.
- Bake until the outside of the cheesecake sets but the center is a little loose about 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and open the briefly to let out some heat.
- Leave the cheesecake in the oven for 1 hour., then carefully remove from the roasting pan and cool completely on a rack.
- Run knife around edges and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate at least 8 hours.
- Bring cake to room temperature before serving.
- Unlock and remove the spring form ring.